Photos from around the South Unit.
This lilac bush above stands on the north east corner of Predmore Rd and Harmon in Bald Mountain Recreation Area. The bush now covers a very large area and is approximately 20 feet tall in the middle. The bush most likely originated at the farm that existed here back as far as 1857. The oldest map displays this area belonging to the A. Graham family. Over the years the acreage was transferred to J. King, first seen in 1908, and then to S.P. Conklin in 1921. The first map to show a transfer of this land to the Dept. of Conservation was 1947. This is most likely the largest single stand of lilac in the park.